Packed with nutrients and filled with goodness, bone broth has been used for centuries to help fight disease and cure chronic illness. This nourishing food is beneficial for every part of the body, improving physical health while boosting energy levels and increasing motivation.
Adding bone broth to your diet is one of the best ways to improve gut health, which can impact every aspect of your health and well-being. From the tips of your hair down to your toenails, from your skin to the organs within – bone broth really is the ultimate superfood (the bone broth benefits seem to be endless). Find out more below:
Contents:What Nutrients Does Bone Broth Contain? (Hint: The Mutherload) Bone Broth v Stock: Know the Difference The 51 Science-Backed Bone Broth Benefits
- Bone Broth Reduces Cellulite
- Bone Broth Improves Joint Health
- Bone Broth Strengthens Your Hair and Nails
- Bone Broth Helps to Heal the Gut Lining
- Bone Broth Improves Immune Function
- Bone Broth Allows Your Skin to Flourish
- Bone Broth Reduces Inflammation
- Bone Broth is Anti-aging
- Bone Broth Can Heal a Leaky Gut
- Bone Broth Improves Muscle Growth and Recovery
- Bone Broth Strengthens Your Bones and Teeth
- Bone Broth Combats the Common Cold and Bronchitis
- Bone Broth Promotes Weight Loss
- Bone Broth Prevents Dehydration
- Bone Broth is Great for Mental Health
- Bone Broth Helps Prevent Tumours
- Bone Broth is Cell Protecting
- Bone Broth Can Alleviate Diabetes and Lower Blood Sugar
- Bone Broth Helps Regulate Bleeding
- Bone Broth Helps Normalise Stomach Acid
- Bone Broth Can Improve Sleep Quality
- Bone Broth Promotes a Healthy Pregnancy
- Bone Broth Enhances the Benefits of a Ketogenic Diet
- Bone Broth is Great for Your Pets
- Bone Broth Can Improve Fertility
- Bone Broth Can Combat Autoimmune Disease
- Bone Broth Helps the Body Detoxify
- Bone Broth Promotes Tissue Regeneration
- Bone Broth Boosts Brain Cognition
- Bone Broth Protects the Heart
- Bone Broth Can Help Alleviate the Symptoms of Arthritis
- Bone Broth Fights Infection
- Bone Broth Turbocharges Your Energy Levels
- Bone Broth Shields You Against Stress
- Bone Broth Fills in the Gaps of the Modern Diet
- Bone Broth Improves Flexibility and Mobility
- Bone Broth Reduces Allergic Reactions
- Bone Broth Promotes Digestion and Nutrient Absorption
- Bone Broth Can Help Treat Neurobehavioural Disorders
- Bone Broth Helps You Access Bone Marrow
- Bone Broth Assists in Restoring Exercise Capacity
- Bone Broth Improves Your General Mood
- Bone Broth is a Great Flavour Enhancer
- Bone Broth May Make You More Attractive (Improves Skin Elasticity)
- Bone Broth Helps to Regulate Human Growth Hormone
- Bone Broth Helps You Recover From Injuries
- Bone Broth Promotes Brain Plasticity
- Bone Broth Helps You Avoid Nasty Chemicals and Additives
- Bone Broth Allows the Body to Eliminate Waste Products
- Bone Broth Unlocks the Benefits of Healthy Fats
- Bone Broth Improves Your Quality of Life
What Nutrients Does Bone Broth Contain? (Hint: The Mutherload)
Bone broth is made by simmering animal bone and tissue, with the slow cooking time allowing a huge range of proteins, minerals, and compounds to be released from the bones. This slow process takes time and patience, as bones and connective tissues are broken down to unlock the goodness inside.
Animal bones are a major storehouse of essential amino acids and minerals, many of which we don’t get from our modern diet. Among other things, bone broth contains a high concentration of calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, glycine, arginine, glutamine, proline, and collagen.
Bone Broth vs Stock: Know the Difference
In order to unlock the health benefits of bone broth you must know the difference between bone broth and stock. While it may look like bone broth on the surface, stocks are not slow simmered for 16-24 hours. Bone broth on the other hand is simmered for long periods of time (e.g. 16-24 hours) which allow the bones healing nutrients to infuse into the surrounding liquid.
Simply put, a slow simmer time is essential in order to access the nutrition from the bones and make it easier for your body to absorb the nutrients and amino acids. While traditional stock would have been simmered for a long time, modern stock products are less nutritious and thinner due to a lack of gelatin. Gelatin is simply the cooked form of collagen.
Standard stocks contain much lower levels of this powerful compound and are typically full of additives, preservatives, sugar, MSG and other artificial flavourings. To be safe, try to stay clear of these stocks and opt for bone broth because as you will see below, it will do wonders for you.
The 51 Science-Backed Bone Broth Benefits
1. Reduces celluliteCollagen-rich bone broth can reduce cellulite and make your skin more supple. Cellulite comes from a lack of connective tissue. The bones and tissue in bone broth improve the appearance of your skin by providing it with the nutritional support it needs to nourish and support healthy connective tissue. Consuming bone marrow increases the production of elastin, which improves the tone and texture of your skin and reduces the visible signs of wrinkles.
2. Bone broth improves joint health
Numerous links have been found between bone broth and joint health, with arthritis and aching joints often being the result of weak or damaged connective tissue. The nutrients and proteins in bone broth can help your tendons and ligaments to rebuild and get stronger. Bone broth is rich in glycine. This nutrient is the primary amino acid in collagen, which is produced when bones are simmered slowly.
Glycine and other amino acids such as proline and hydroxyproline are exactly what your body uses to build tissue and keep your joints strong. According to one study, athletes noticed significant improvements in joint comfort and athletic performance after consuming collagen. Bone broth, as a regular part of your diet, will help to keep your joints healthy and strong because your body will have sufficient collagen.
3. Bone broth strengthens your hair and nailsHigh levels of collagen and calcium in bone broth help to support the growth of healthy nails. A lack of collagen can reduce the strength and elasticity of both hair and nails, with calcium deficiency also leading to dry skin, brittle nails, and dull hair.
4. Bone broth helps to heal the gut lining
One of the most important bone broth health benefits is its ability to heal the gut. All disease begins in the gut, with the promotion of healthy gut flora being the best way to promote long-term health and well-being. The gelatin in bone broth helps to repair the intestinal lining of the gut, reducing the inflammation that is responsible for so many chronic conditions.
According to one report published in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, gelatin was found to boost intestinal health, enhance the integrity of the gut, and reduce intestinal inflammation. A number of studies have shown that people with digestive issues often have lower levels of collagen, which is one of the main components of bone broth.
5. Bone broth improves immune function
Our immune system is responsible for fighting off disease and keeping us healthy on a daily basis. Researchers at the University of Nebraska Medical Center were curious if chicken soup really did boost the immune system just like the old wives tales suggests. To their surprise, they discovered that the amino acids found in chicken broth could reduce inflammation, improve digestion, and improve immune system function.
6. Bone broth allows your skin to flourishCollagen is not just the main ingredient in bone broth, it also makes up 25-35% of your body's entire protein content. As the primary protein in our skin, it's important to access as much collagen-rich food as possible if you want healthy and glowing skin. While it’s not a complete protein source, collagen contains 18 of the 20 amino acids that your body needs to reduce the visible signs of aging. According to one study, collagen consumption can decrease skin dryness, wrinkle formation, and other signs of aging.
7. Bone broth reduces inflammationWhile acute inflammation is a natural self-protective process, a number of chronic and painful conditions can develop when inflammation persists for longer than necessary. Studies have shown that glycine and proline are effective in reducing inflammation. These amino acids are found in high concentrations in bone broth, where they are used in the formation of collagen.
8. Bone broth is anti-agingBone broth has a number of anti-aging effects, both on the inside and outside of your body. Along with lowering the chances of developing age-related diseases by reducing inflammation and promoting a healthy gut, the glycine in bone broth can also boost mental performance and memory and help to prevent strokes and seizures.
9. Bone broth can heal a leaky gutDrinking bone broth for gut health can literally revolutionise your sense of well-being because gut health directly impacts so many other aspects of your health. A healthy gut is essential for a healthy life. Bone broth is one of the best foods to heal a leaky gut and promote healthy gut flora. A leaky gut occurs when cell junctions become weak and the gaps between cells become wider. The collagen found in bone broth nourishes the intestinal lining and helps to heal intestinal permeability.
10. Bone broth improves muscle growth and recoveryBody builders have found that consuming bone broth is a way to improve muscle growth and speed up recovery time. The amino acid proline has interesting links to muscle growth and wound healing, with this precursor to hydroxyproline helping to keep muscles and joints flexible and create new cells in the body. Proline, glycine, and glutamine are all found in bone broth, with a deficiency in these amino acids possibly leading to a decrease in muscle mass.
11. Bone broth strengthens your bones and teethCollagen protein is critical for the health of connective tissue, including cartilage, joints, and bone. Consuming bone broth can be a great way to increase the density of nutrients in your bones, and possibly even protect yourself against degenerative bone diseases. Collagen is also found in our teeth and in the connective tissue of our jaw, where it is necessary for mineralisation and stability.
12. Bone broth combats the common cold and bronchitisEating anti-inflammatory foods is one of the best ways to strengthen your immune system and protect yourself against conditions like the common cold and bronchitis. Because bone broth is so rich in minerals and nutrients, it's one of the best ways to combat symptoms before they turn into bigger problems. Glycine, proline, and arginine are all effective in reducing the inflammation associated with these conditions. Bone broth also contains the amino acid cysteine, which closely resembles the bronchitis drug acetylcysteine.
13. Bone broth promotes weight lossWhen consumed as part of a healthy diet and combined with exercise, bone broth can help to promote weight loss. Obese people tend to have more Firmicutes bacteria and less Bacteroidetes bacteria in their digestive tract, which means they extract more calories from food. The high concentration of glutamine in bone broth is a great way to reduce Firmicutes and aid weight loss. Also, because bone broth is so rich in nutrients and minerals, you may not need to eat as much food in order to feel satisfied. When bone broth is used as a form of liquid fasting, it can help people to eat less while still providing them with the nutritional content they need to be healthy. When combined with a balanced diet, bone broth can help to reduce gut leakage and inflammation problems that can lead to over-eating.
14. Bone broth prevents dehydrationBone broth has been found to improve hydration, especially when vegetables have been added to the mix. Herbs, spices, and vegetables are often added to the bone marrow while cooking in order to increase electrolytes and carbohydrates. Not only does this optimise your hydration levels, it can also improve the taste and texture of bone broth brews. The sodium in bone broth also helps the body to retain water.
15. Bone broth is great for mental healthThe regular consumption of bone broth can have a positive effect on your brain and alleviate some of the symptoms associated with mental health conditions. Studies have shown that glycine can help to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder in adults and reduce the symptoms of schizophrenia. Depression disorder has also been associated with decreased levels of glycine. This powerful amino acid is partly responsible for improving our mood and balancing our emotions.
16. Bone broth helps prevent tumoursThe existence of gelatin in bone broth is linked to tumour prevention. The reason for this bone broth benefit is that gelatin is known to encourage and support healthy cell growth. There is preliminary evidence that gelatin can keep cancer cells from reproducing, with porcine gelatin from pigs found to have a noticeably greater effect than beef gelatin.
17. Bone broth is cell protectingBecause bone broth is such a good source of glycine, it has a broad range of cell-protective benefits. Glycine is important for healthy liver function and detoxification. Whether it's shielding your skin from cellular mutations or protecting you from free radical damage by increasing glutathione production, the glycine in bone broth helps to protect you on a deep cellular level.
18. Bone broth can alleviate diabetes and lower blood sugarThe low carb, low calorie, and high protein content of bone broth gives it great stabilising properties for blood glucose. There has even been some cases of people managing to reverse diabetes with the help of bone broth brews. Glycine plays a particularly important role in blood sugar regulation by controlling the production of glucose in the liver.
19. Bone broth helps regulate bleedingBone broth doesn't just help to regulate the mucous membranes in the gastrointestinal system, it can also be taken to manage heavy menstruation and other forms of bleeding. Gelatin plays a major role here, by balancing oestrogen, regulating its production, and controlling uterine contractions through magnesium and calcium. This can help to prevent painful menstrual cramping and excessive bleeding. It also assists in the production of new blood cells.
20. Bone broth helps normalise stomach acidDiseases that involve stomach complaints can be positively affected by regular bone broth consumption. Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, celiac disease, and stomach ulcers all involve some form of chronic inflammation. The gelatin in bone broth helping to normalise stomach acid and regulate the entire gastrointestinal system. While certainly not a cure for these diseases, bone broth can help people to manage their condition.
21. Bone broth can improve sleep qualityThe glycine in bone broth can help people to improve the quality and quantity of their sleep. Glycine plays an important role interacting with neurotransmitters in the brain, not just improving sleep quality, but also reducing daytime sleepiness and helping to improve memory during waking hours. According to one study, glycine improved subjective sleep quality, sleep efficacy, and daytime performance. This makes it a healthy alternative to benzodiazepine drugs such as sleeping pills, which come with a lot of unwanted side effects.
22. Bone broth promotes a healthy pregnancyThe nutritional make-up of bone broth can help to promote a healthy pregnancy. The animal bones used in bone broth are a major source of essential amino acids and minerals, many of which are difficult to obtain in any other way. Some of the compounds that can be beneficial to a healthy pregnancy include calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, glycine, arginine, glutamine, proline, and collagen. Drinking organic bone broth during pregnancy can be an easy way to nourish the body with a concentrated, clean source of nutrients.
23. Bone broth enhances the benefits of a ketogenic dietA ketogenic diet is a low carb diet that is designed to help the body produce ketones in the liver for energy instead of relying on carbohydrates and fatty foods. The consumption of bone broth can enhance the benefits of a ketogenic diet by helping people access a protein and nutrient rich energy source instead of relying on glucose.
24. Bone broth is great for your petsBone broth is not just great for you and your family, it can also be a huge benefit to your pets. Cats and dogs are often given high protein diets and raw diets that mimic what they would eat in their natural environment. Bone broth provides a nutrient rich and easy to digest food source that can complement any existing pet diet.
25. Bone broth can improve fertilityInfertility can cause huge emotional and financial turmoil. While more and more people are turning to Assistive Reproductive Technology (ART) methods such as IVF, there has also been a growing interest in attempts to increase fertility naturally. While bone broth is not the final solution by any means, it is one of the most fertility-friendly foods that exists. Bone broth can help to heal your gut, which is fundamentally linked to nutrient bioavailability, hormonal health and ultimately fertility.
26. Bone broth can combat autoimmune diseaseAutoimmune diseases occur when a person's immune system produces an inappropriate response against its own cells, tissues, or organs. There is a growing school of thought that these diseases are a result of poor gut health, with chronic internal inflammation leading to a negative feedback loop of disease and inflammation. Bone broth helps to heal the gut and reduce the conditions that may be responsible for autoimmune responses.
27. Bone broth helps the body detoxifyBone broth contains high levels of glycine, an amino acid which stimulates the production of glutathione. This is known as the body’s master antioxidant, and is responsible for protecting the body against unwelcome guests. Both glycine and glutathion protect the liver from becoming starved of oxygen, and are also needed to prevent toxin accumulation in the liver.
28. Bone broth promotes tissue regenerationBone broth can assist with tissue regeneration, speeding up wound and tissue repair through the biosynthesis of creatine. Glycine helps provide cells with energy thanks to the way it converts nutrients from your diet, helping your body to feed hungry tissues, boost endurance, and improve performance. One study featured in the US National Library of Medicine found that glutathione plays a critical role in creating new tissue cells.
29. Bone broth boosts brain cognitionBone broth contains a number of important amino acids, some of which act as major brain neurotransmitters. For example, glycine is an important inhibitory neurotransmitter that is responsible for a range of cognitive and metabolic functions that contribute to overall brain health. Bone broth also contains chondroitin, which has been shown to have an important role in regeneration and plasticity in the central nervous system
30. Bone broth protects the heartHeart disease is one of the leading causes of death in the developed world, and bone broth is an excellent defence. The glycine found in bone broth can significantly reduce the severity of heart attacks, with this important amino acid also countering against the negative effects of methionine found in meat and egg products.
31. Bone broth can help alleviate the symptoms of arthritisConsuming bone broth has health benefits for your joints and skeletal system. The proteins in bone broth are especially beneficial for rheumatoid arthritis, a chronic autoimmune disease marked by painful damage to the tendons and ligaments. One study found that chicken collagen dramatically improved the symptoms of arthritis, with another study showing that a chondroitin and glucosamine supplement significantly reduced pain from arthritis and improved joint mobility.
32. Bone broth fights infectionNutrient rich bone broth helps the body to fight infection, with the combination of minerals and amino acids allowing the body to protect itself against a range of negative influences. The collagen in bone broth contains 18 of the 20 amino acids that your body needs to fight off intruders.
33. Bone broth turbocharges your energy levelsNutrient-rich bone broth has been found to increase energy levels and improve motivation. The amino acids in bone broth are responsible for improving your mood while awake and helping you get better sleep during the night time hours. Glycine in particular is closely associated with relaxation and decreased anxiety, with minerals such as calcium and magnesium also helping with energy production.
34. Bone broth shields you against stressAdding bone broth to your diet is a great way to boost your immune system and fight off the chronic inflammation that affects so many people in the developed world who are overworked and over-stressed. Bone broth is packed full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can help to shield your body from the damaging effects of physical and mental stress.
35. Bone broth fills in the gaps of the modern dietWhile the fundamental elements of a healthy lifestyle will always be diet and exercise, some nutrients are difficult to obtain in a standard modern diet. Organic bone broth is a perfect food for unlocking the mineral content consumed by land animals and fish. Bone broth is rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus, with fish bones also containing iodine. Even when you're eating a healthy balanced diet, bone broth gives you the confidence to know you're getting everything your body needs.
36. Bone broth helps improves flexibility and mobilityThe glycine in bone broth helps to improve your flexibility by increasing the range of your joints and the strength of your muscles. Proline and hydroxyproline are also found in bone broth, with these amino acids working alongside vitamin C and lysine to create the essential building blocks for the elastic fibres found in the muscles, ligaments, and tendons.
37. Bone broth reduces allergic reactionsBone broth helps to reduce intestinal inflammation and promote overall digestive repair. This is great news for people who suffer from allergic reactions, with many food sensitivities and allergies being the result of a leaky gut. Drinking bone broth can become an important part of a ‘heal and seal’ technique for leaky gut syndrome, with glycine in particular known to improve gastric acid secretion and the symptoms of reflux.
38. Bone broth promotes digestion and nutrient absorptionThe amino acid glycine is closely associated with the digestive system, helping your body to breakdown fat by regulating the concentration of bile acids. With such a high concentration of glycine in bone broth, making it a regular part of your diet is one of the best ways to improve your digestion. By helping to rebuild the tissue that lines the digestive tract, glycine and proline help to keep food particles and bacteria inside the gut where they belong. When these amino acids are not available to the body, tiny openings may form that pass particles to the bloodstream and trigger inflammation.
39. Bone broth can help treat neurobehavioural disordersBone broth contains high levels of glycine, which works together with taurine and gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) within the central nervous system as an inhibitory neurotransmitter. A number of studies have investigated the benefits of this amino acid for the treatment of behavioural conditions, including hyperactivity, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and epilepsy.
40. Bone broth helps you access bone marrowAlong with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, bone broth also contains bone marrow. Bone marrow is known to secrete hormones that help the body to stay healthy. According to one study, bone marrow fat tissue releases a compound called adiponectin, which has been linked to a reduced risk of diseases such as diabetes.
41. Bone broth assists in restoring exercise capacityDrinking bone broth is a great way to feel more energised and restore your exercise capacity. If you've been avoiding working out due to a lack of energy or motivation, nutrient-rich bone broth may be just what you need to get back on your feet. By helping you to sleep better and allowing you to unlock your internal energy stores, you really can feel like a new person.
42. Bone broth helps improves your general moodMany of the amino acids found in bone broth are essential to brain health and a balanced mood. Not only do amino acids affect your brain directly, they also affects your gut bacteria. The microbiome of your gut influences how your brain is wired, with healthy gut flora sending happy signals to your brain and reducing mood disorders such as anxiety and depression. In one study, glycine was found to slow down the production of norepinephrine, which is known to induce feelings of anxiety.
43. Bone broth is a great flavour enhancerWhile it might be a great way to improve your gut health and balance your mood, bone broth is also a tasty addition to any diet. You can make bone broth with the bones of any animal, including beef, pork, lamb, chicken, and fish. Different bone broths often include their own mixtures of vegetables, herbs, and spices, all of which contribute to the great flavour combinations.
44. Bone broth may make you more attractive (improves skin elasticity)It might sound silly, but bone broth really can make you more attractive. Proline and collagen help the body to break down proteins and improve skin elasticity. Collagen has a powerful smoothing effect on the skin, and glycine helps with the production of the important anti-aging antioxidant glutathione. When you factor in better sleep and improved hair follicles, of course you'll look better with bone broth in your diet.
45. Bone broth helps to regulate human growth hormoneHuman growth hormone is produced by the pituitary gland, where it helps to regulate body composition, muscle and bone growth, and sugar and fat metabolism. The glycine in bone broth plays a huge role in the production and regulation of human growth hormone.
46. Bone broth helps you recover from injuriesThe nutritional compounds found in bone broth help you to recover from injuries faster. By ramping up your amino acid intake with bone broth, you can avoid overuse injuries and recover from them more effectively. The health benefits of bone broth help you to improve muscle tone, reduce muscle wasting, and avoid the cramps that may have been holding you back while working out.
47. Bone broth helps promotes brain plasticityBone broth is a fully-featured nutritional product that includes all of the brain-helping compounds you need to relax and unwind. Glycine and other amino acids like chondroitin are essential for reducing your stress levels and improving your general mood, regulating how your brain uses energy and improving plasticity in the central nervous system.
48. Bone Broth Helps you avoid nasty chemicals and additivesOrganic bone broth products help you to avoid the additives often found in commercial stocks. Not only is bone broth more nutritionally rich than standard stock, it also contains a much purer mixture of ingredients. While herbs and spices may be used to enhance the flavour, you can be assured that you'll avoid the nasty chemicals found in many stock products.
49. Bone broth helps you to eliminate waste productsBone broth is a powerful detoxifier that helps your digestive system to expel waste more efficiently. Bone both includes the amino acid glutamine, which is needed both for building muscle and removing waste products like ammonia. The body is often unable to make enough glutamine by itself, so bone broth is a helpful food to make sure you're getting what you need.
50. Bone broth unlocks the benefits of healthy fatsBoth red and yellow bone marrow are responsible for the rich taste of bone broth. These healthy fats are found towards the outside of the red bone marrow in the yellow bone content. According to one study, the lipid composition of animal bones and tissues may offer protection from chronic disease in modern humans, including a decreased risk of heart disease and diabetes.
51. Bone broth improves your quality of lifeThe bone broth benefits listed above can help you to be happier, healthier, and to enjoy a better quality of life. Bone broth is a timeless product that manages to be both simple and rich at the same time. The natural ingredients in bone broth hide a wealth of essential nutrients that are capable of transforming your life like nothing else can.
How Do You Get the Bone Broth Benefits Into My Diet?
Getting the health benefits of bone broth in your diet doesn't have to be difficult. While you can always make your own, most people have neither the time or the patience to implement this ancient tradition. Luckily for you, it's easier than ever before to get your hands on quality organic bone broth products. Happy Mammoth make inspired bone broth using a special anti-inflammatory blend – allowing you to enjoy the nutritional goodness locked within the bones.